From Ant Keeping Wiki
Formicarium Building and Parts
- Red Gel Sheets - https://www.amazon.com/12-Pack-Overlays-Transparency-Correction/dp/B01M1HIER8/ - Formicarium cover - Ants (usually) don't react to red light, cut these to size to cover your ants and still see them. (Also, shop around, prices change)
- Step drill bit - https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10193A-Titanium-Drill-3-Piece/dp/B001OEPYWK/ - Drilling acrylic -Normal drills will shatter acrylic, these don't.
- Stackable container - https://www.containerstore.com/s/gift-packaging/containers/narrow-stackable-rectangles/12d?productId=10032168 - Foraging/Nest - Popular material for building reservoirs/leafcutter nests/etc
- Amac Boxes - https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-flush-lid-amac-boxes/d?productId=10028594 - Outworld box - Often used by formicarium makers for outworlds or all-in-ones
- Hydrostone - http://www.ebay.com/itm/HYDROSTONE-GYPSUM-CEMENT-HYDROSTONE-20-Lbs-for-25-FREE-SHIPPING-/161556284672
- BoxBox Stackable Containers - narrow-stackable-rectangles & shallow-mini-stackable-rectangle
- Foraging Containers (fits test tubes) - http://www.maplecraftinc.com/index.php/invitation-rectangular-clear-plastic-boxes-8-pack-of-12.html
Foraging Containers 2 (pencil cases, nurbs choice) - http://www.daisojapan.com/p-29780-pen-case-228-748-098-in-10-pkg.aspx
- 100 micron stainless steel mesh - http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=100+mesh+stainless+steel+screen+pollen+kief+sieve+filter
- Grout (Polyblend brand works well) - https://www.amazon.com/s/...rnid=2528832011
- Square Plastic Container with Overfit Lid (New Nurbs Choice™ - Small) - https://www.pioneerp...container/082c/
- Square Plastic Container with Overfit Lid (New Nurbs Choice™ - Large) - https://www.pioneerp...container/160c/
- Floral Water Tubes/Vials 3.5" (Another Nurbs Choice™)- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H3ZV7I8/
Ant Barriers and Aspirators
- Fluon (Insect-a-Slip) - https://www.bioquip.com/search/DispProduct.asp?pid=2871A - Ant Barrier - Not cheap, but cheapest shipping for U.S. ant keepers. Remember to dilute it.
- Nail polish bottle - https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=empty+nail+polish+bottles - Fluon container - Nail polish bottles are perfect for storing fluon and the applicator brush gives an even coat
- Aspirators - http://www.roseentomology.com/Insect%20Aspirators.htm
Anting and Black Lighting Tools
- DJ 24" Black Light - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002F5544/ - Attract ant queens - 3ft power cable, 120V or 220V operation, UV lamp wavelength is supposibly 365nm (but more likely mostly 395nm)
- Michaels - Mini Storage Containers By Bead Landing
- Acrylic - 5ml Screw Top
- Pop/Snap Top Plastic Vials (Warning: These are air tight and require you to puncture a hole in them) - Medium 1.5ml (40mm x 10mm), Larger 2ml size (unknown dimensions), Largest 5ml size (Length: 63mm / outer diameter: 15mm)
- Bluegrass seed - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Midnight-Kentucky-Bluegrass-Seed-1-Lb/322032157154 - Harvester ant food - These are pesticide free. Most seed eating ants like these.
- Honeydew Surrogate - http://www.antfinity.com/keeping-ants-2/honeydew-surrogate/ - Ant food - For aphid tending species
- SUNBURST Ant Nectar - http://www.amazon.com/SUNBURST-Ant-Nectar-Premium-Liquid/dp/B0101TS4IO
- The Complete Ant Juice Ant Food Supplement - http://tarheelants.com/products/the-complete-ant-juice-ant-food-supplement
- Rainbow mealworms - http://www.rainbowmealworms.net
- Pesticide-free Kentucky Bluegrass seed - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CGPNY
- Test Tubes - http://www.lcmlab.com/16mm_Glass_Test_Tubes_Corning_99445_16_p/41a20-w.htm - Founding set up -Glass is best. 16mm is enough for most species. 150mm for max water reservoir.
- TT Shot Glasses - https://www.partycity.com/clear-test-tube-plastic-shot-glasses-24ct-681758.html - Founding setup - If you absolutely cannot buy the glass test tubes online, these are the most readily available brick-and-mortar equivalent
- Cotton balls - https://www.dollartree.com/bulk/Cotton-Balls - Founding setup - Available in any dollar store. Just walk in and buy a bag.
- Test Tubes Bambo Style - https://www.aliexpress. com/item/33008504683.html - Sizes: 15-150mm; 18-180mm; 20-200mm; 25-200mm; 30-200mm - Wonderful for larger species that take longer to grow, since water can be added.
- Super Cheap, Small, Plastic Test Tubes (12x100mm) - https://www.aliexpress. com/item/32978833380.html
Heating and Climate
- Temperature Gun - https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-774-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY/ - Temp Monitoring - Ants will bake super quick. Temperature gun takes out the guesswork.
- Digital Thermostat - https://www.amazon.com/MTPRTC-Controller-Thermostat-Germination-Reptiles/dp/B000NZZG3S/ - Temp control - If you use ambient heat (such as heat lamps) this will make sure the temperature stays within ~5 degrees of the goal
- 12x/24x Macro lens - https://www.aliexpress .com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180420151325&SearchText=Apexel+12x+24x+macro+lens - Zoom in for great pics - Pick a reputable seller, shipping is 3 weeks. Example vid: https://youtu .be/MsdYSFEqlcE
- Gorilla Phone Stand - https://www.amazon.com/JOBY-GripTight-GorillaPod-Stand-Smartphones/dp/B009GHYMB6/ - Steady your footage - THERE ARE TWO SIZES. Make sure your phone fits. A lot of the stands on amazon are terrible, these actually last.
- ~4x lens - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D1CDW9O/ - Macro lens - Other than optometrists, all vendors lie about magnification.
- Drew from formiculture for compiling together a useful list -